Monday, February 20, 2012

Leather Spirituality


I have to admit that it has been a while since my last blog. I have gotten myself into a serious writer’s block situation. I have covered a lot of ground in the blog and I am just not sure what questions my readers have. If you have a question about a topic or if you want me to talk about a topic, just let me know.

In early December 2011, I had a hospitalization that caused me a lot of problems. One of the positives about the time I have gained is that I have time to read. I have been reading a lot of books discussing different aspects of our BDSM culture. I would like to discuss some of my favorites with you, my readers.

The first book I am going to discuss is “Soul of a Second Skin: The Journey of a Gay Christian Leatherman” (available at http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Second-Skin-Christian-Leatherman/dp/1934625388/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329765030&sr=8-1) by Hardy Haberman. In the interest of transparency, I must tell you that Hardy, his boy Patrick, and I are good friends. We attend church together and enjoy a brunch with our leather family every Sunday. We are both members of Discipline Corps, which is where I met Hardy.

“Soul of a Second Skin” is written to discuss Hardy’s spiritual journey and how it is also part of his BDSM journey. He makes a point of telling the reader that he is not proselytizing or recruiting. He is just sharing the journey. Hardy takes theological, religious, sexual, and leather concepts and asks the reader to break the walls down that separate the concepts. He shows how he has done it and challengers his readers to do the same if that is what they desire.

As a Gay Christian Leatherman, some of my journey is similar to Hardy’s and some of it isn’t. In the end, it just doesn’t matter. Hardy challenges the reader to think and that is dangerous for some “religious” people. Reading this book has changed the way I look at my BDSM exploits and, in my honest opinion, for the better.   

No comments:

Post a Comment